The Como Hotel is one of the oldest buildings in the Sutherland Shire and is an important part of The Shire’s heritage.
It was originally built for the Germans working on the construction of the railway. This hotel has had a mixture of owners & Publicans from the Catholic Church in the late 1880’s to that legend of Australian rugby league Arthur Beetson.
One of our greatest poets, Henry Lawson, lived at Como West in the years before his death in 1922 and it is believed he was a frequent visitor to the hotel, often reciting poetry in the bar. Unfortunately the hotel that saw two world wars come and go could not withstand the fire on Sunday 3 November 1996.
Affectionately known as the Como Hilton, the Hotel was re-built 5 years later keeping the original brickwork and retained the burnt door which was salvaged from the fire in the hotel’s restaurant.
Como Hotel has a touch of elegance standing in the quiet backwaters of the Georges River. With remarkable views and shady verandas, this hotel is a beautiful heritage of our Shire.